Sign up to our Red Bull X-Alps newsletter and stay updated on a monthly basis before and after the race and daily during the race on news about adventure sports, hike & fly and the world’s toughest adventure race.SUBSCRIBE
- Nationality: Germany
- Date of birth: 02. Dec. 1985
- Profession: Forstwirt, Tandempilot
- Supporter: Martin Walleitner
- Glider: Advance Omega X-Alps
- Website: -
- Sponsors: ADVANCE, SwissWool, Air Movie Service, Medifit Holzkirchen die Gesundheits oHG, Sony - Elektro Niedermaier, Salomon - Sportalm Bayrischzell, Erhardt.Erlacher Architekten, Gasthof zum Hagn
- Sebastian Huber, the Red Bull X-Alps 2015 rookie, rose up to the challenge and took the battle to Red Bull X-Alps defending champion Christian "Chrigel" Maurer, Austrian flying ace Paul Guschlbauer and Italian tornado Aaron Durogati, both in the air and on the ground. Consistently in the lead group throughout the entire race, he eventually finished 2nd, getting to Monaco ahead of both the Austrian and Italian athlete. Can he repeat his performance in 2017?
- When and why did you begin paragliding?
2008 - to avoid having to run down from the mountains.
- Do you paraglide competitively? List rankings and events.
Not too much. Overall Winner Bordairline 2013 and 2014, 2nd place Red Bull X-Alps 2015.
- What is your mountaineering experience?
High Mountaineer and Soldier Mountain Rescue. Some solo climbs through the east wall Watzmann and flight from the peak.
- What is your paragliding experience?
I've been flying Cross-Country for 8 years.
- What is your adventure racing / endurance sport experience?
Do hike and fly tours without support over several days.
- What does your typical training week consist of?
Daily exercise in combination with running and cycling.
- What are your best and worst adventure/flying moments?
There are many beautiful adventure/flying moments like having a long flight and then to spontaneously meet good friends. The most dangerous that happened to me was a very hard landing five weeks before the start of Red Bull X-Alps 2015 because of a glider collapse.
- What are the sporting moments you are most proud of?
Reaching Monaco at Red Bull X-Alps 2015.
- When and how did you first hear about the Red Bull X-Alps?
In a lecture from my flight instructor Peter Rummel of his participation in the 2007 edition.
- Have you competed in the Red Bull X-Alps before and if so, when?
Yes, Red Bull X-Alps 2015.
- What appeals to you about the Red Bull X-Alps?
It`s the hardest hike and fly race of the world.
- What will be your strategy during the race?
To have fun in the adventure.
- On average, over a third of the Red Bull X-Alps participants fail to finish the event. Why do you think you will make it?
Because there is nothing better than to achieve my goals.
- What scares you the most about the event?
The media, but you get used to everything.
- Have you ever done anything of this magnitude before?
Yes, during the edition of 2015.