Sign up to our Red Bull X-Alps newsletter and stay updated on a monthly basis before and after the race and daily during the race on news about adventure sports, hike & fly and the world’s toughest adventure race.SUBSCRIBE
Nelson de Freyman
- Nationality: France
- Date of birth: 13. Feb. 1992
- Profession: Ski and Paragliding Instructor
- Supporter: Damien Pierre
- Glider: Advance Omega 2 xalps 22
- Sponsors: 2XU, Advance paragliders, Kortel design, Julbo, Kayland, Compass, Rock the Outdoor, FFVL, Val d'Oronaye, Han'Vol
- A supporter for Antoine Girard in 2013 and a rookie pilot in Red Bull X-Alps 2015, he's also one of the youngest pilots on the board. Having crossed a number of challenging mountain ranges by hike and fly and finishing 11th in 2015, de Freyman is looking to fly long and fly high in Red Bull X-Alps 2017.
- When and why did you begin paragliding?
I discovered paragliding when I was 14 by chance during the summer when my father paid a course for me. This was a major experience in my young life and made me push my limit. Seeing the world from the sky is amazing.
- Do you paraglide competitively? List rankings and events.
Yes I do. I've a PWC pilot for 4 years. My best result was at the Paragliding World Cup final in 2014 with a 15th place. I took part at the Red Bull X-Alps 2015 and I finished 11th after 10 days of adventure.
- What is your mountaineering experience?
I climbed the Lenine peak (7125m) in 2012. Crossed the entire Rocky Mountains by hike and fly in 2014. I climbed several summit in the Alps, the Atlas and the Pamir ridge.
- What is your paragliding experience?
I've been flying since 10 years. I've been an instructor and tandem pilot for 4 years. Red Bull X-Alps pilot and assistant in 2015/2013. PWC Pilot. I did many hike and fly's around the world (Rocky mountains, Atlas, Alps).
- What is your adventure racing / endurance sport experience?
Red Bull X-Alps 2015, Triathlon tour since 2012.
- What does your typical training week consist of?
2 trainings by day, 2 days rest by week mostly hiking, running, swimming and martial sports.
- What are your best and worst adventure/flying moments?
The best one was a flight with Tom and Antoine during Red Bull X-Alps 2015 crossing all of the Dolomites in one day. The worst one was also in the Red Bull X-Alps, flying over a pass in some of the craziest flying conditions I've seen in my life.
- What are the sporting moments you are most proud of?
When I touched the water in Monaco having completed more than 1000km race across the Alps.
- When and how did you first hear about the Red Bull X-Alps?
Through the website and also through all of the Red Bull communication.
- Have you competed in the Red Bull X-Alps before and if so, when?
I was a supporter for Antoine Girard in 2013 and I competed in 2015 as team FRA 3.
- What appeals to you about the Red Bull X-Alps?
Pain, Adventure, experience, happiness.
- What will be your strategy during the race?
Flying as much and as high as possible.
- On average, over a third of the Red Bull X-Alps participants fail to finish the event. Why do you think you will make it?
Motivation is the key, but to finish this race, you also need luck, a good strategy and a great time. I think I have all of that and will make it to the finish once more.
- What scares you the most about the event?
Strong landing and bad take off.
- Have you ever done anything of this magnitude before?
Yes, Red Bull X-Alps 2015.