Sign up to our Red Bull X-Alps newsletter and stay updated on a monthly basis before and after the race and daily during the race on news about adventure sports, hike & fly and the world’s toughest adventure race.SUBSCRIBE
- Nationality: Czech Republic
- Date of birth: 21. Aug. 1989
- Profession: Software test engineer
- Supporter: Jiří Dlask
- Glider: GIN Boomerang GTO2
- Website: www.stanislavmayer.com
- Sponsors: Aktuálně.cz, KERNUN, KRS.cz, Certicon, Základní škola létání, GIN, HighPoint, Skupina CEZ, Czech tourism, Victorinox, Inov-8
- Stanislav Mayer is back in action for the 2017 edition of Red Bull X-Alps and looking to improve on his 12th place finish in 2015, reaching Monaco in 11 days and 8 hours. An avid adventure athlete, Mayer has competed in the X-Pyr, completed an Iron Man and flown in the PWC. The first time we saw him in Red Bull X-Alps was in 2013, as a supporter for Michal Krysta.
- When and why did you begin paragliding?
6 years ago with my friend who climbed with me.
- Do you paraglide competitively? List rankings and events.
Yes I like these competitions: FAI ranking - 60th place, ParaglidingWorldCup - Gemona - 15th place, Bavarian Open 9th place, Serial cup - 2nd place (junior), XPyr 2016 - 2nd place
- What is your mountaineering experience?
Ortler - North wall - ice climbing, Matterhorn, Elbrus.
- What is your paragliding experience?
Red Bull X-Alps 2015, X-Pyr 2014.
- What is your adventure racing / endurance sport experience?
Iron Man - 11h 20m, Running competitions - usually around 30 - 40 kms, Cross-Country skiing races 50-90km. Best result 154 place in Jiz50 (part of Worldloppet).
- What does your typical training week consist of?
Swimming, running, cross country skiing, mtb, road bike and of course cross-country flying!
- What are your best and worst adventure/flying moments?
Best: finishing Red Bull X-Alps 2015. Worst: probably close to injury or something worse during ice climbing in the Alps.
- What are the sporting moments you are most proud of?
Red Bull X-Alps 2015, X-Pyr, Iron Man, marathon.
- When and how did you first hear about the Red Bull X-Alps?
I heard about Red Bull X-Alps for the first time in 2009 on a Czech TV program. I saw my predecessor Honza Škrabálek and I never could imagine that I could do that. But I started to compete in XC and my life changed. I also helped Michal Krysta in Red Bull X-Alps 2013 as a supporter.
- Have you competed in the Red Bull X-Alps before and if so, when?
Yes, once in 2015. It was an amazing experience!
- What appeals to you about the Red Bull X-Alps?
It's great idea to cross the Alps only by hike and fly style. I like the nature there and also I like this type of hike and fly competitions.
- What will be your strategy during the race?
My strategy is to spend as much time in the air as possible.
- On average, over a third of the Red Bull X-Alps participants fail to finish the event. Why do you think you will make it?
Good decisions, keeping a calm head and staying cool and of course knowing the area...
- What scares you the most about the event?
A long time pressure low system in the Alps during the race and walking more than 3 days... and snakes :-)
- Have you ever done anything of this magnitude before?
X-Pyr, Red Bull X-Alps 2015.