Sign up to our Red Bull X-Alps newsletter and stay updated on a monthly basis before and after the race and daily during the race on news about adventure sports, hike & fly and the world’s toughest adventure race.SUBSCRIBE
- Nationality: South Korea
- Date of birth: 24. Dec. 1975
- Profession: Paragliding instructor,test pilot
- Supporter: Yunjae Ryu
- Glider: Gin glider X-alps.
- Website: facebook.com/hachipara
- Sponsors: GIN, Octaminox, Flex power, Hyundai
- Nicknamed "The Korean Dragon" Chikyong Ha finished 14th during Red Bull X-Alps 2015, overcoming injuries and a battle from the back. Ha completed the first traverse by paraglider of the "Baekdu daegan", the mountain range that forms the backbone of the Korean peninsula. This range runs 1625km from Mt Jiri in the South to the symbolic peak of Mt Baekdu in North Korea.
- When and why did you begin paragliding?
1998, flying was so beautiful.
- Do you paraglide competitively? List rankings and events.
2007 Korea President Cup 1st. 2009 Korea championship 1st. 2009 Korean league Total 1st. 2010 Asian championship 1st. 2012 Preworldcup Taiwan 1st. 2015 Redbull X-Alps 2015; 14th.
- What is your mountaineering experience?
I have completed the first traverse by paraglider of the "Baekdu daegan", the mountain range that forms the backbone of the Korean peninsula. The range runs 1625km from Mt Jiri in the South to the symbolic peak of Mt Baekdu in North Korea.
- What is your paragliding experience?
Paragliding instructor, Gin glider test pilot, Tandem pilot.
- What is your adventure racing / endurance sport experience?
Red Bull X-Alps 2015.
- What does your typical training week consist of?
Trekking, Running, Weight training.
- What are your best and worst adventure/flying moments?
When I was flying past the Matterhorn during the 2015 Red Bull X-Alps. I was flying above 5000m for over 30min.
- What are the sporting moments you are most proud of?
When I completed the 2015 Red Bull X-Alps.
- When and how did you first hear about the Red Bull X-Alps?
In 2007, through the website.
- Have you competed in the Red Bull X-Alps before and if so, when?
Yes, in 2015.
- What appeals to you about the Red Bull X-Alps?
Mother Nature is the great power and is pure. The challenges humans are capable of are huge and great, too.
- What will be your strategy during the race?
The optimal flight with route and safety.
- On average, over a third of the Red Bull X-Alps participants fail to finish the event. Why do you think you will make it?
I have a lot of flying experience. I'm mentally strong and confidence is high.
- What scares you the most about the event?
- Have you ever done anything of this magnitude before?