Sign up to our Red Bull X-Alps newsletter and stay updated on a monthly basis before and after the race and daily during the race on news about adventure sports, hike & fly and the world’s toughest adventure race.SUBSCRIBE
- Nationality: Australia
- Date of birth: 15. Dec. 1979
- Profession: Paragliding pilot, carpenter
- Supporter: Oliver Delprado
- Glider: Ozone Z-Alps S
- Website: paratothepeople.com.au
- Sponsors: Ozone, Black Diamond Equipment, CamelBak, High Adventure - Creative Pilots, Red Bull Australia
- One of the rookies for Red Bull X-Alps 2017 and only the 4th Australian to compete in the Red Bull X-Alps, Che is ready to take on the adventure of a lifetime. A two time winner of the Manilla XC Camp and a multiple Top 3 finisher, Che will be putting his paragliding skills to the ultimate test.
- When and why did you begin paragliding?
I began paragliding in 2000 while living and working in the south of Spain in Valle De Abdalajis. I had dreamt about flying my whole life and was always planning to learn to fly hang gliders until I discovered paragliding.
- Do you paraglide competitively? List rankings and events.
2015 1st Manilla XC Camp, Australia ; - 2013 2nd Australian Championship ; – 2013 1st Manilla XC Camp, Australia ; – 2013 2nd Bright Open, Australia ; – 2011 Australian Champion, Australia ; – 2011 1st Corryong Open, Australia ; – 2010 1st Canungra Cup, Australia ; – 2008 2nd Australian Championship ; – 2008 3rd Killarney Classic, Australia
- What is your mountaineering experience?
Extensive rock climbing and mountaineering experience in Australia, New Zealand and Europe.
- What is your paragliding experience?
- Unsupported Vol Bivouac traverse of Western European Alps 2015 ; – Australian Hill Launch Open Distance XC Record from Mount Borah, Manilla – 356km ; – Selected for Australian Team for 2009 and 2013 Paragliding World Championships ; – Organiser of Weekend Warrior Series competitions in Manilla ; – Coaching and Mentoring at numerous paragliding events in Australia
- What is your adventure racing / endurance sport experience?
- Mountain biking for over 20 years, including top 20 results in Australia. ; - Unsupported Vol Bivouac traverse of Western European Alps 2015 ; - Numerous multi day hiking trips in Australia
- What does your typical training week consist of?
Working on a building site, flying as much as possible, hiking in the afternoons near my hometown in the Blue Mountains, hike and fly.
- What are your best and worst adventure/flying moments?
Best: Flying from St Andre to St Hillaire during vol biv trip in 2015. Worst: Having my friend retire from the above trip due to an injury on his knee from hiking.
- What are the sporting moments you are most proud of?
Winning Australian paragliding championship.
- When and how did you first hear about the Red Bull X-Alps?
In 2003 when the first Red Bull X-Alps took place. In 2005 my friend Ben Kovco took part.
- Have you competed in the Red Bull X-Alps before and if so, when?
No, but I walked some of the course with my good friend Lloyd Penniciuk in 2007.
- What appeals to you about the Red Bull X-Alps?
The adventure and competing against the best pilots in the world.
- What will be your strategy during the race?
Fly as much as possible.
- On average, over a third of the Red Bull X-Alps participants fail to finish the event. Why do you think you will make it?
I'm determined to finish.
- What scares you the most about the event?
Flying in less than ideal conditions.
- Have you ever done anything of this magnitude before?
Not in a race.