- Nationality: Romania
- Date of birth: 05. May. 1975
- Profession: Flight instructor
- Assistant: Daniel Pisica
- Glider: Skyman Cross Alps
- Website: www.tomacoconea.ro
- Sponsors: To be confirmed.
- Every single Red Bull X-Alps has a few things in common: big mountains, long walks, high flights … and Tomo Coconea. The Romanian is a legend of the race and is the only athlete to bring his own following of fans to watch his progress. Famous for his speed on the ground, Toma has been known to cover 100km in a day. His best place so far was finishing 2nd in 2011. He finished 10th in 2013, and was the last to make Monaco, but there will only be one thing on his indomitable mind for 2015: winning.
- When and why did you begin paragliding?
I started paragliding in 1991. An inside feeling told me to do it.
- Do you paraglide competitively? List rankings and events.
Yes, at all Red Bull X-Alps editions, at national and international competitions like PWC and Dolomitenmann. Two times 2nd place at the Red Bull X-Alps, 3rd place at X-Pyr and more times 1st place at Romanian Open.
- What is your mountaineering experience?
Exploring all major cliffs of the Alps, Kilimanjaro, Carpathian Mountains, Himalayas, Pyrenees etc.
- What is your paragliding experience?
I started paragliding in 1991. Since 1994 I participate in competitions and since 1999 I am a flight instructor.
- What is your adventure racing / endurance sport experience?
I participate in mountain marathons, paragliding, climbing, endurance sport and I do cross-country skiing.
- What does your typical training week consist of?
For me each day is a training day. If the weather allows it I do cross-country flights and a minimum of 25km of running each day.
- What are your best and worst adventure/flying moments?
Every Red Bull X-Alps edition was an adventure, but from one edition to another I had better experiences and I surpassed my flight kilometers. The worst one was in 1999, when a couple of medics scared me to death about losing my left leg after an accident with my paraglider.
- What are the sporting moments you are most proud of?
Landing at Monaco.
- When and how did you first hear about the Red Bull X-Alps?
I heard about this competition from the very beginning. A good friend of mine told me.
- Have you competed in the Red Bull X-Alps before and if so, when?
Yes, at all editions.
- What appeals to you about the Red Bull X-Alps?
- What will be your strategy during the race?
My strategy will be revealed on live tracking and we will improvise just like they do in Jazz.
- On average, over a third of the Red Bull X-Alps participants fail to finish the event. Why do you think you will make it?
I think I will make it because it is a great desire of mine, and past experiences with the Red Bull X-Alps will help me achieve it.
- What scares you the most about the event?
- Have you ever done anything of this magnitude before?