- Nationality: Romania
- Date of birth: 05. May. 1975
- Profession: Flight instructor
- Assistant: Daniel Pisica
- Glider: Skyman Cross Alps
- Website: www.tomacoconea.ro
- Sponsors: To be confirmed.
- Every single Red Bull X-Alps has a few things in common: big mountains, long walks, high flights … and Tomo Coconea. The fleet-footed journeyman will be competing in his 7th Red Bull X-Alps, and he's going to have one goal in mind: winning.
- When and why did you begin paragliding?
I started paragliding in 1991. An inside feeling told me to do it.
- Do you paraglide competitively? List rankings and events.
Yes, at all Red Bull X-Alps editions, at national and international competitions like PWC and Dolomitenmann. Two times 2nd place at the Red Bull X-Alps, 3rd place at X-Pyr and more times 1st place at Romanian Open.
- What is your mountaineering experience?
Exploring all major cliffs of the Alps, Kilimanjaro, Carpathian Mountains, Himalayas, Pyrenees etc.
- What is your paragliding experience?
I started paragliding in 1991. Since 1994 I participate in competitions and since 1999 I am a flight instructor.
- What is your adventure racing / endurance sport experience?
I participate in mountain marathons, paragliding, climbing, endurance sport and I do cross-country skiing.
- What does your typical training week consist of?
For me each day is a training day. If the weather allows it I do cross-country flights and a minimum of 25km of running each day.
- What are your best and worst adventure/flying moments?
Every Red Bull X-Alps edition was an adventure, but from one edition to another I had better experiences and I surpassed my flight kilometers. The worst one was in 1999, when a couple of medics scared me to death about losing my left leg after an accident with my paraglider.
- What are the sporting moments you are most proud of?
Landing at Monaco.
- When and how did you first hear about the Red Bull X-Alps?
I heard about this competition from the very beginning. A good friend of mine told me.
- Have you competed in the Red Bull X-Alps before and if so, when?
Yes, at all editions.
- What appeals to you about the Red Bull X-Alps?
- What will be your strategy during the race?
My strategy will be revealed on live tracking and we will improvise just like they do in Jazz.
- On average, over a third of the Red Bull X-Alps participants fail to finish the event. Why do you think you will make it?
I think I will make it because it is a great desire of mine, and past experiences with the Red Bull X-Alps will help me achieve it.
- What scares you the most about the event?
- Have you ever done anything of this magnitude before?