- Nationality: Switzerland
- Date of birth: 27. Jul. 1982
- Profession: Paraglider Pilot
- Supporter: Tobias Dimmler
- Glider: ADVANCE Omega X-Alps
- Website: www.chrigelmaurer.ch
- Sponsors: Lowa, TeamWork Schweiz AG, Advance, Eduard Steiner, You Count, SHV, Taktil, Bächli Bergsport, Tourdi, Saij, Marmot, X-Bionic, X-Socks, Leki, Gloryfy
- What is there to say about Chrigel 'the Eagle' Maurer? The four-time winner of the Red Bull X-Alps, the most accomplished Red Bull X-Alps athlete to ever fly a gilder, the fastest guy in the sky, the man who takes off in conditions that would put off even seasoned pros. Chrigel holds the 'course' record, reaching Monaco during the 2013 Red Bull X-Alps in 6d 23h 40m. Can anyone come close?
- When and why did you begin paragliding?
I did my license in 1998 - it was a new challenge and I wanted to fly like a bird!
- Do you paraglide competitively? List rankings and events.
Yes, I start with the Swiss Championship in 2000. In 2002, I flew my first World Cup and 2009 was my first Red Bull X-Alps. Now 16 years competitions and won most of the different competitions.
- What is your mountaineering experience?
I flew from the summit of Mt. Blanc, the Matterhorn or Jungfrau.
- What is your paragliding experience?
18 years of paragliding experience with a average of 300 flights and similar hours / year.
- What is your adventure racing / endurance sport experience?
4 times Red Bull X-Alps and twice X-Pyr and 11 Bordairlines Events...
- What does your typical training week consist of?
I like to do Hike and Fly in the mountains with friends but also do hard running in the flatland. If we have snow, I go skitouring.
- What are your best and worst adventure/flying moments?
There are too many - paragliding is a emotional sport and I like the moment in the air.
- What are the sporting moments you are most proud of?
Crossing the goal line, no matter when.
- When and how did you first hear about the Red Bull X-Alps?
When my friend Kaspar Henny prepared for the 2003 edition.
- Have you competed in the Red Bull X-Alps before and if so, when?
Yes, from 2009 till 2015.
- What appeals to you about the Red Bull X-Alps?
To enjoy new experiences out in the wild with my team.
- What will be your strategy during the race?
Always move forward!
- On average, over a third of the Red Bull X-Alps participants fail to finish the event. Why do you think you will make it?
I believe in me.
- What scares you the most about the event?
To push my limit too much and to make the wrong decisions during stressful situations.
- Have you ever done anything of this magnitude before?
I don't know the route yet.